london - bucharest

Logan's Adventures in Eastern Europe

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Time for some plastic surgery



For those reading this in Shoreditch Dr. Staicovici is Bucharest's equivalent to Gary's Bar. This is basically a basement in a villa in an affluent part of town which has been converted into a rather great bar. As to the legality of it, well I really don't know, but in a country like Romania bending the rules is a subject top of the curriculum and taught in junior school.

However it came to be I really don't care because it's one of my favourite places in town. Most venues here attract a specific type of person, be it the Fitze brigade (footballers wives, Romanian style), or the sunglass at night young club kids, you are always reminded you are in Bucharest. Walk down into the basement at Dr Staicovici and you could be in any capital city in Europe, the crowd diverse, individual and clued-up.

So I'm looking forward to celebrate the birthdays of two good friends here and play some records, finally, with Mr Tom Wilson who is also living here from England and plays a great selection of music that you just don't hear that often in this town.

5 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! Wish I was there. Send my love to the gang and happy birthdays all round.

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"but in a country like Romania bending the rules is a subject top of the curriculum and taught in junior school"
..this hurts me to hear everytime!

in a country like romania...
for a girl with blonde hair...
for somebody with black skin....
etc...i don't think i need to go on.

I learned in a country like Romania,in a very good high school & interesting faculty ,and never i was taught any of the above.

I have also travelled well enough in Europe and met enough european students .I can never say anything like...'in a country like...' People are different and the same everywhere.
I learned not to judge, as you say above, from my school and from my parents.

I wish you would start enjoying Romania in a different way of thinking...

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger LOGAN said...

Carmen, firstly i apologise for upsetting you. I was not fortunate enough to go to a good school loike yourself and am sometimes prone to generalisation. I would like to say that BENDING THE RULES IS DEFINITELY NOT TAUGHT IN ROMANIAN SCHOOLS. However, corruption is still extremely high in Romania.

Transparency International’s annual Corruption Perceptions Index published earlier in the year showed little advance by Romania compared with previous years. Overall, Transparency’s 2005 league table showed Romania placed 85 out of 158 countries surveyed, still ranking lower than many African states including Rwanda, Lesotho and Burkina Faso.

Everyone I have talked to whilst living here accepts there is still a huge black market and bribes are common place from hospitals to the police.

OSI research on the public attitudes on corruption in Romania that result - 58% think the majority of parliamentarians are corrupt; a shocking 51% think that most judges are corrupt … and 14% have themselves paid bribes in court.

I am not singling out Romania, corruption is everywhere. I wish it wasn't. At the end of the day, people like you and I are the ones paying for it, but this does not prevent me from enjoying every day of my time here.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah.... careful mate, don't be upsetting the natives, we might not see you again!!,oops sorry carmen!,i know it's not like that in romania really! what i ment to say was, you could get your legs broken,err..... i mean slapped,....oh i don't know.... just have some 'spect man!!

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

udderwise yagonna indup wida cap inyo ass!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home